Application for citizenship to the Fraser Valley Métis Association is available to all Métis who:
- Self identify as Métis.
- Have resided in the province of British Columbia for at least 3 months.
- Are not a registered First Nations Idividual and do not receive any benefits as a First Nation Individual.
- Are not an Inuit Individual and do not receive any benefits as an Inuit Individual.
- Are willing, and intend on persuing Metis Nation of British Columbia citizenship.
The Fraser Valley Métis Association welcomes applicants from all Métis individuals in our core service areas, Abbotsford and Mission. However, It is not necessary to live in the core service area to apply for membership. Some members belong to the association because they once lived here, have longstanding friendships, or familial ties within the community.
Please email our Director of Membership to obtain an application. You may submit your application package to the Director of Membership at a community meeting, gathering, or by mail C/o Director of Membership #321 - PO Box 8000, Abbotsford, BC, V2S 6H1. Please include a recent passport type photo (preferably size, or 1"x1" photo), and a $20.00 processing fee.
The Director of Membership will endevour to process your application package within 30 days of reciept. If accepted, your card will be ready to pick up at the following community meeting or gathering.
Upon becoming an FVMA member, it is hoped that you will:
- Attend regular meetings/gatherings, and the FVMA Annual General Meeting.
- Volunteer 4 hours per calendar year at FVMA events.
- Conduct yourself in a manner that is becoming of an FVMA citizen, which includes treating all other members in a respectful manner.
- Support the Metis Nation of British Columbia, as FVMA is a Chartered Community of this Provincial body.
If you have any further questions please contact the Director of Membership, Curt Smecher MEMBERSHIP@FVMA.CA